A really tasty simple number that utilises pantry ingredients. Great for camping!
- 1 1/2 cups Brown Rice
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 medium Red Onion, diced
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 400 g can Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 400 g can Diced Tomatoes
- 200 g can/jar Salsa, recommend La Morena Red Mexican Sauce
- 1 Lemon, zest or 1/2 preserved lemon
- 1 handful Coriander, roughly chopped
- Salt and Pepper, seasoning
- 2 handfuls Rocket or Spinach,
- 1 Avocado, chopped – optional for serving
Boil 3 1/2 cups water and add brown rice. Simmer till tender, around 15-20 minutes.
Whilst rice cooking saute onion in olive oil until translucent. Stir in smoked paprika and cook for a minute.
Add chickpeas, tomatoes, salsa, lemon and coriander and simmer 8-10 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper.
Serve on rice with rocket/spinach, sprinkle with coriander and avocado (if using).
Variations: Add chopped carrots and or zucchinis to onion. Wilt in spinach at the end.