Eggplants are in season so this is the perfect time to whip up this tasty moussaka. Black olives really add to the flavour but if its not your thing then leave out. This is a great dish to prepare ahead till the cooking stage adding it to the oven when ready to eat.
- 2 medium Potatoes, scrubbed, leave skin on and slice thinly
- 1 medium Eggplant, cut into 3 mm thin slices
- 2 cups Spinach, sliced
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 cloves Garlic, pressed
- 1 medium Onion, sliced
- 400 g can Crushed Tomatoes
- 400 g can Kidney Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp Dried Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/8 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/2 cup Black Olives chopped
- 2 handfuls Fresh Basil, Oregano and Thyme, chopped
- 1 cup Raw Cashews, soaked 10 minutes in boiling water
- 1 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 tsp Salt
Preheat oven to 180°c.
Slice potatoes, add to a medium pot and cover with water. Boil for around 15 minutes till they are just tender.
In a pot, heat the olive oil on medium. Add onion and garlic, cook for a couple of minutes before adding tomatoes, kidney beans, herbs, spices and salt. Simmer on low for 10 minutes till sauce thickens.
Add all the sauce ingredients into a blender and blend till smooth.
In a rectangle shaped dish (approximately 25cm length x 18cm wide) spead half of the tomato sauce over the bottom of the dish. Add a layer of spinach, sliced potato and sliced eggplant. Spread the remaining tomato sauce followed by layers of the remaining spinach, potato and eggplant. Cover with cashew sauce.
Bake in oven for around 30 minutes till top is golden brown.
Let cool for 5 minutes then serve with fresh herbs.